Wednesday, April 8, 2009

FRIDAY, JUNE 13, 2008

(part 71) IT WAS THAT SIMPLE FOR ME


In 1968, 3 very important things happened in America. In April of that year Martin Luther King was assassinated in Memphis, Tenn. In June of that year Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in Los Angeles, and in August of 1968 there were huge riots in Chicago, at the Democratic National Convention, which assured that Richard M. Nixon would be elected the next President of The United States Of America. The level of depression and anger that was felt across this country and the whole world for that matter, following these events, was thick, as 1968 moved towards it's final months. Because the shock of what had happened was so complete that year, it was responsible for altering the lives of millions, forever.

It was hard to put your finger on exactly how much changed as a result of the years volatility exactly, but I know that I had a feeling deep inside me that never left. It was if you finally knew that the power was never going to let certain things happen. If you looked to change things too much, too fast, that power would rise up in one form or another and take you out. We had seen this happen and then happen again and again. It was like it was beaten into us through repetition. Life changed! There was a sense of paranoia that started creeping in in 68.

The freewheeling open mindedness of the early 60's began dissipating like a slow leak in a tire. It took some time, but the paranoia was definitely there to stay. During that time, I was kind of reevaluating my own position in life when STEVE CLARK came to me and said that he was having financial difficulties and couldn't continue paying me the $100. a week salary for writing songs for SINCE MUSIC. This was a devastating blow to me, but Steve said he was trying to get BOB ROSS, who owned HARMONY RECORDING STUDIO, to take on my publishing at Bob's own company, TERESA MUSIC.

Had I known at the time that Steve's reason for putting me with Bob Ross was because Steve had used up my VERVE advance, that he'd stolen from me, my whole life might have gone in a different direction. I liked Bob Ross alright and he had a genuine interest in me so it was ok for a while, at least I could keep getting a $100. a week, which I totally depended on. CURT BOETTCHER had basically worked himself out of Steve's grasp and was slowly but surely making new plans for himself and Michelle O Malley, Jim Bell and other Boettcher loyalists who had previously worked with Steve.

I just stayed where I was, because Bob Ross was going to pay me and I didn't want to be completely broke again. There was talk of a new album but there was no label offering to foot the bill at the time. I had brought the Verve deal to Steve Clark the first time around, but now I was no help as far as interested record companies. Possibly Steve's reputation coupled with mine was more than some people wanted to chance at the time, who knows, but Bob Ross wasn't afraid and he kept the idea of an album alive and had his own studio where we could cut the record which would make it easier than having to go out and rent studio time somewhere else, which was expensive.

Between Steve and Bob cutting deals with each other using my writing and publishing and me as the artist for chips, they somehow managed to strike up a deal between them that they both could live with. Once again, I just stayed around because of the 100 bucks a week, it was that simple for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment